How can I get health insurance in Germany? 

Is public or private health insurance better? What company works if you still need to apply for a work permit? How much will you pay? While Expath is not an insurance broker and may not specifically recommend one option or service over another, we have trusted partners with whom we have worked for years.

If you already know you’d like to sign up for public health insurance (for example if you have a full-time job in Germany), many of Expath's customers use Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) because of their English-language customer service and informational support. You can register for TK here (affiliate link). A few other options are AOK Nordost, Barmer GEK

If you are a freelancer from outside the EU, you may find it hard to sign up for German insurance, and may need "international" insurance for your residency permit. Possible options are Mawista, Care Concept, or by signing up with our affiliate partner Popsure, which also offers private liability insurance

If you’re not sure what might be the best option for you, it’s best to check with an independent insurance broker. Expath works with our partner, Berlin-based insurance broker Keith Tanner, who is especially experienced with insurance options for expats (especially for those who need residency permits) – the best way to reach him is via email at keith.tanner (at) 

Not quite ready to sign up for German health insurance but want to know more about how it works? Check out our online workshop Getting Started & Finding a Flat for general information on insurance and other important points of getting settled in Germany. If you need health insurance for a freelance permit, try our workshops Getting your Freelance Work Permit or Getting your Freelance Artist Visa.

Much success!!