How do I get a work permit or visa for Germany? 

Are you applying for a visa or work permit for Germany? What do you qualify for, and what kinds of jobs can you do on your current permit? Our specially trained experts will give you the information you need and help you get a residency permit (sometimes also called a visa, work permit or student permit) so you can stay in Germany.

We’ll walk you through the requirements and paperwork you need to apply, and help you avoid common mistakes that can lead to rejection. 

You've got questions? We've got answers.

  • Can I apply for a residency permit from here in Germany or do I need to go home first?
  • How do I get the 'freelance artist visa'? (i.e. a freelance work permit for artists)
  • How do I get a Blue Card?
  • What is the difference between a Blue Card and a work permit for employment?
  • How can I get a 'German language student visa'?
  • Can I study and work at the same time?
  • How do I get a 'job seeker' permit to stay and look for work?
  • I'm married to an EU citizen, do I need a work permit?
  • What other options do I have to stay in Germany?
  • What documents do I need for the application?
  • How do I prove my income?
  • What health insurance do I need?

The staff is compassionate and helpful beyond belief. I was concerned about parts of my stay in Germany and couldn't find some of the info I needed. Expath's workshops and counselors helped give me direction and peace of mind about the naturalization process. Being an expatriate would have been a whole lot harder and more stressful without the guidance I found at Expath.  

- Heran B.

How Expath can make your life easier:

One-on-one coaching session with one of expat's coaches

Meet with an expert face-to-face or via Skype for tailored assistance with your flat search.  A one-hour coaching session is just €75 with all taxes included. In person or on Skype.

Book an interpreter to go with you to the Ausländerbehörde (foreigner's office) in Berlin and Hamburg

Let us go with you and get it sorted out together. Interpreters are €75 per hour with all taxes included.

Make use of our informative online seminars

You can immediately access our streaming seminars, "Getting Your Freelance Work Permit" or "Getting Your Freelance Artist Visa", which describe the checklist of documents you'll need to get together in detail, with lots of helpful suggestions on how to show you meet the requirements. We'll walk you through all the necessary the forms and suggest extra documents you can include in your application to make the strongest case possible for getting your work permit. Alternatively, if you need to find a job before applying for a work permit, you can get all the essential information about how to find a job in Germany in our online workshop "Finding a Job in Germany".

Getting Your Freelance Work Permit

Getting Your Freelance Artist Visa

Finding a Job in Germany 

Book one of our full-service relocation packages (Berlin and Hamburg)

Let our team support you with everything you need when you're new in Berlin or Hamburg, including getting your address registered! Book your own personal coach for yourself or your family.

Need something else? Get in touch!

Email us at coaching (at) today and let us know if you have any questions!

We're looking forward to seeing you soon!