Working freelance/self-employed in Berlin and worried about your financial situation?
We’ve created this free workshop on financial measures and support available during the current coronavirus crisis. We cover:
This webinar was filmed via Zoom on April 17th, 2020. We are planning on having regular webinars to keep you updated, as the situation is changing rapidly. Please scroll to the bottom of this page for a collection of links from the webinar.
Expath is a relocation company and language school in Berlin. While our physical offices are closed during the coronavirus-crisis, we continue to be here for you via email (at info (at) expath.de) and offer our services online. If you'd like to join an Expath group online German course, check out our schedule here.
Expath's other essential online workshops:
Special: Beginner German (A1.1) Streaming Video Course
Getting Started and Finding a Flat in Germany Workshop
Childcare in Berlin Online Streaming Workshop (FREE)
How to Freelance in Germany Online Workshop
Getting Your Freelance Work Permit (Berlin only!) Online Workshop
Finding a Job as an Expat in Germany Online Workshop
Obtaining a Freelance Artist Visa (Berlin only!) Online Workshop
'How German Grammar Works' Online Workshop
Links included in the webinar (last update from 30th of March):
* Information about protection from eviction during Corona-crisis: https://www.bmjv.de/SharedDocs/Gesetzgebungsverfahren/Dokumente/Bgbl_Corona-Pandemie.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=1&fbclid=IwAR2EepZE9I8nkSAMPVjxy5j2EfNRF6Re0FVpIjtAjtsmAyUS2x_zOiYydJ0
*Information about applying for ALG II through the Jobcenter in your district: https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/arbeitslosengeld-2/arbeitslosengeld-2-beantragen
* The Jobcenter’s current information about how to make applications during the Corona-crisis: https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/corona-virus-aktuelle-informationen
* The immigration authority’s decrees that residence permit holders (including freelancers) are given special, temporary permission until June 17 to draw on social welfare benefits without it causing the residency permit to be cancelled: https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/aufenthalt/artikel.910213.en.php
* Application for Soforthilfe II for self-employed workers through the IBB: https://www.ibb.de/de/foerderprogramme/liquiditaetshilfen-berlin.html
* Red Tape Translation answers FAQs about Soforthilfe II with expert interviews: https://www.redtapetranslation.com/tax-advisor-answers-burning-questions-about-the-freelancer-grant/
* Red Tape Translation’s explanation of the Soforthilfe II application form: https://www.redtapetranslation.com/how-to-fill-out-the-ibb-corona-soforthilfe-ii-application-video-and-detailed-instructions/ (costs a fee)
* Information about extra Kindergeld during financial hardship: https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/familie-und-kinder/notfall-kiz
* Information about loans from the KfW bank:
-in English (differs slightly from German version): https://www.kfw.de/KfW-Group/Newsroom/Latest-News/KfW-Corona-Hilfe-Unternehmen.html
* The Berlin IHK’s daily Corona virus newsletter: https://www.ihk-berlin.de/service-und-beratung/international/coronavirus-trifft-wirtschaft
* Compensation in case of quarantine - Law on the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases in Humans (AKA, Gesetz zur Verhütung und Bekämpfung von Infektionskrankheiten beim Menschen) https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ifsg/index.html#BJNR104510000BJNE007305116
Disclaimer: Expath aims to provide the best-researched and most up-to-date information we can find. However, Expath is not able to provide legal advice and accepts no liability for the information presented here. This information is subject to change often and at short notice, so please check the relevant websites regularly for updates, or speak with a lawyer or tax advisor if you require legal advice before taking any action.
Stay safe and healthy!
Your Expath Team